Jerome, Book of Places 163
TextSaron, cuius et Esaias meminit dicens “in paludes versus est Saron.” usque in praesentem autem diem regio inter montem Thabor et stagnum Tiberiadis Saronas appellatur. sed et a Caesarea Palaestinae usque ad oppidum Ioppe omnis terra quae cernitur, dicitur Saronas.
Textual NoteEd. Klosterman 1904
TranslationSaron, which Isaiah also mentioned, saying, “Saron turned into swamp.” Even up to the present day the region between Mount Thabor and Lake Tiberias is called Saronas. All the land seen from Caesarea Palestinae as far as the town Joppa is also called Saronas.
Translation NoteTrans. J. L. Rife
- 1 Eusebius of Caesarea, Eusebius Werke III.1. Das Onomastikon der biblischen Ortsnamen, ed. Erich Klostermann, repr. Hildesheim: Georg Olms 1966, Die grieschischen christlichen Schriftsteller der ersten drei Jahrhunderte (Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs, 1904), p: 163.
- Eusebius of Caesarea, Palestine in the Fourth Century A.D.: The Onomasticon by Eusebius of Caesarea, ed. Joan E. Taylor, trans. Freeman-Grenville (Jerusalem: Carta, 2003)
Copyright and License for Reuse
Except for materials quoted from other sources, this entry is copyright 2021 by the contributors (Joseph L. Rife, et al.) and the Caesarea City and Port Exploration Project. It is licensed under the Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) license.
Some texts quoted in this entry may be in the public domain in the United States. No copyright is asserted for these quotations.
Some texts quoted in this entry may have copyright restrictions and are reused under Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976 (Title 17 of the United States Code) which permits “fair use” of copyrighted materials for purposes such as criticism, comment, scholarship, and research. These texts remain under copyright of their owners. No copyright infringement is intended.
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:Joseph L. Rife, “Jerome, Book of Places 163.” In Caesarea Maritima: A Collection of Testimonia, edited by Joseph L. Rife and Phillip I. Lieberman., edited by Joseph L. Rife et al.. Caesarea City and Port Exploration Project, 2021. Entry published June 14, 2021. https://caesarea-maritima.org/testimonia/294.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Jerome, Book of Places 163
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Joseph L. Rife, general editor, Vanderbilt University
- Joseph L. Rife and Phillip I. Lieberman, editors, Caesarea Maritima: A Collection of Testimonia
- David A. Michelson, Daniel L. Schwartz, and William L. Potter, technical editor, “Jerome, Book of Places 163”
- Joseph L. Rife, entry contributor, “Jerome, Book of Places 163”
- TEI encoding by William L. Potter
- Electronic text added by Joseph L. Rife
- Testimonia identified by Joseph L. Rife