Eusebius of Caesarea, Life of Constantine 4.36-4.37
Textual NoteEd. Winkelmann 1991
Translation NoteAdapted from Cameron and Hill 1999
Discussion NoteThe interpolation of “carriages” (ὀχημάτων) from Socrates of Constantinople, Theodoret of Cyrrus, and Gelasius of Cyzicus raises the question of how wheeled vehicles were to be used for the deacon’s delivery to Constantine. An overland journey up the Syrian coast and across Anatolia would have been long and arduous; perhaps a trip partly on roads and partly on sealanes was envisioned.
- 1 Eusebius of Caesarea, Eusebius Werke I.1: Über das Leben des Kaisers Constantins, ed. Friedhelm Winkelmann, Repr. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter 2008, Die grieschischen christlichen Schriftsteller der ersten drei Jahrhunderte n.F. 7 (Berlin: Akademie-Verlag, 1991), section: 4.36-4.37.
- 2 Eusebius of Caesarea, Life of Constantine, trans. Averil Cameron and Stuart G. Hill, Clarendon Ancient History Series (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1999), p: 166-167, 326-327.
Copyright and License for Reuse
Except for materials quoted from other sources, this entry is copyright 2023 by the contributors (Eliana Yonan, et al.) and the Caesarea City and Port Exploration Project. It is licensed under the Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) license.
Some texts quoted in this entry may be in the public domain in the United States. No copyright is asserted for these quotations.
Some texts quoted in this entry may have copyright restrictions and are reused under Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976 (Title 17 of the United States Code) which permits “fair use” of copyrighted materials for purposes such as criticism, comment, scholarship, and research. These texts remain under copyright of their owners. No copyright infringement is intended.
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:Eliana Yonan et al., “Eusebius of Caesarea, Life of Constantine 4.36-4.37.” In Caesarea Maritima: A Collection of Testimonia, edited by Joseph L. Rife, Phillip I. Lieberman and David A. Michelson., edited by Joseph L. Rife et al.. Caesarea City and Port Exploration Project, 2023. Entry published January 20, 2023. https://caesarea-maritima.org/testimonia/131.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Eusebius of Caesarea, Life of Constantine 4.36-4.37
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Joseph L. Rife, general editor, Vanderbilt University
- Joseph L. Rife, Phillip I. Lieberman, and David A. Michelson, editors, Caesarea Maritima: A Collection of Testimonia
- David A. Michelson, Daniel L. Schwartz, and William L. Potter, technical editors, “Eusebius of Caesarea, Life of Constantine 4.36-4.37”
- Eliana Yonan and Joseph L. Rife, entry contributors, “Eusebius of Caesarea, Life of Constantine 4.36-4.37”
- TEI encoding by William L. Potter
- Electronic text added by Eliana Yonan
- Testimonia identified by Joseph L. Rife